TEAMS of workers are on the ground as the effort to re-open Jenolan Caves Road continues unabated following the bushfire which ripped through the area in December.
The main access route to the Jenolan Caves was closed on December 18 with tourist access to the historic precinct being suspended until further notice.
Roads and Maritime Services (RMS) have been throwing major resources into clearing the road with specialist arborists and geotechnical engineers on site every day working tirelessly to make the area safe again.
Bathurst MP Paul Toole was given a first-hand look at the massive clean-up operation when he visited the area earlier this week.
"You really don't realise what a massive job it is to get Jenolan Caves Road reopened again until you go there and see the devastation the bushfires caused," he said.
"The terrain is so steep. There is damage near the roadway including a significant number of trees that have fallen or need to be inspected as well as damage to signs, guard rails and guide posts.
"The biggest risk is falling or unstable trees, slope stability and the damage to the guard rails."
Mr Toole said the number one priority had to be ensuring the safety of the community and everyone involved in the recovery efforts to get Jenolan Caves opened again.
"We are working with the team from Jenolan Caves House to support them in getting to the point where visitors can start to return to this iconic tourist attraction," he said.
"At this stage we have no official date when Jenolan Caves will re-open to the public, but we are hoping it will be around early February."
Subscribing means more than just website access. Read the print paper online, enter giveaways and more for just $2 a week, cheaper than a coffee. What are you waiting for?