Lithgow Mercury journalists Alanna Tomazin and Ciara Bastow have rolled up their sleeves and put their baking aprons on.
These two got down to business in the kitchen all in support of the 2021 Lithgow Show.
They created a delicious, decadent and delightful Caramilk rocky road to enter into the pavilion's cooking exhibit.
"We thought we'd put a little twist on the classic rocky road and make it a 'Lithgow Mercury special'," Alanna said.
The ladies hope to win a ribbon for their efforts but won't be too disappointed if they don't.
"I hope that we win a ribbon but even if we don't, it tastes delicious and we've still supported our local show," Ciara said.
The rocky road will be on display in the pavilion with a number of other tasty items this Friday and Saturday (March 19 and 20).
The Mercury ladies urged the community to go along to the show and check the exhibit out.
"It's so important to support our local show and enter items in the pavilion to make up a display, and it's always nice to see what other people have made, we have a lot of talent in this community," Alanna said.
Ciara and Alanna are no strangers to the show having previously entered the 2019 Lithgow Showgirl competition with Ciara taking the honours.
Ciara said as previous Lithgow Showgirl she thought it was only fitting to continue being involved in the show.
"Now I am not the best chef in the world but it's lots of fun baking something and gives you a real sense of pride in what you have made," she said.
"Everyone in Lithgow is so supportive and Alanna and I have a lot to do with the local community in our work, so we encourage everyone to get involved in the show in any way you can."
Rocky road Recipe
- 3 x bags of Caramilk cooking chocolate
- Crushed nuts (preferably peanuts)
- 2 x bags of Coles mini marshmallows
- 2 x bags of red lollies (preferably raspberries)
- Line a baking tin with baking paper
- Chop red lollies into halves
- Place lollies, mini marshmallows and 1 cup of nuts into a mixing bowl
- Melt 2 bags of chocolate in the microwave for 2 minutes, stir between heating
- Pour melted chocolate onto mix and combine until well coated, pour into baking tin and spread
- Melt third bag of chocolate and pour a top coat onto mix
- Refrigerate until set
- Chop and serve
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can access our trusted content: