St Joseph's Catholic School will be participating in Catholic Schools week from Sunday to Saturday, February 21 to 27.
Catholic Education Week is a chance to embrace the difference in people's lives which Catholosism makes in school and the wider community. It challenges young people to embrace Jesus' message to help them reach their full potential and become compassionate members of society.
The upcoming theme of Catholic Education Week 2021, now 2021, is 'A Spirited Tomorrow'.
It acknowledges the 175th anniversary of the opening of Queensland's first Catholic school and Catholic education's long tradition. It is also an opportunity to celebrate the Plenary council for pathing a way forward for the church in Australia.
"St Joseph's Catholic School, Portland offers an effective learning environment in a small school situation," principal Simone Taylor said.
Activities that will be taking place during the week include:
- Sunday, February 21: Parish Mass - 8am at St Vincent Church Portland. Families welcome to attend.
- Tuesday, February 23: Contemporary Learning Tabloid
- Wednesday, February 24: 200 Years of Catholic Education - National Mass Whole School
- Thursday, February 25: Media Day
- Friday, February, 26: SJS Tabloid Sports Event
- Saturday, February 27: Parish Mass - 10am at Sacred Heart Church Wallerawang. Families welcome to attend
Ms Taylor said at St Joseph's a dedicated staff pride themselves in working with all students to:
- develop positive attitudes to learning aimed at reaching full potential
- develop values of tolerance, respect and honesty
- grow in self-discipline working in partnership with parents
- interact with mutual respect and care for others
- display good manners and be active members of a faith-filled community
- gain opportunities for STEM and sporting and cultural advancement
"St Joseph's offers a 'child-centred' approach where the best possible educational experiences are given," she said.
"With eyes, minds and actions firmly centred on the unique needs of each student, the school continues to operate as a Professional Learning Community in 2021.
"A clear focus on quality learning and teaching and continuous improvement will be showcased during Catholic Schools Week in 2021."
Subscribing means more than just website access. Read the print paper online, enter giveaways and more for just $2 a week, cheaper than a coffee. What are you waiting for?