Limited passenger train services resumed along the Blue Mountains Line between Mount Victoria and Lithgow, on Tuesday, January 21 to delighted passengers.
The recent bushfires left a trail of destruction along a 25-kilometre stretch of the state's main western line, causing extensive damage to signalling and rail infrastructure.
One passenger on the first XPT train going through to Dubbo, Diana Ditchfield, said passengers could still see parts of the tracks getting worked on.
"I think it is just incredible that they have managed to get services up and running considering it has only been a few weeks since the fire," she said.
Minister for Regional Transport and Roads Paul Toole said he recongised how important the rail connection was to passengers travelling to and from the west.
"We are doing everything possible to resume full services as soon as possible," Mr Toole said.
"This will be a long recovery process and will take months to repair as we are essentially rebuilding parts of the operating system from scratch before we can return to normal operations.
"Crews have already removed more than 300 damaged trees from the corridor, and are working to relay thousands of kilometres of communication, electrical and signal wiring."
Mr Toole said Sydney Trains' engineers have worked tirelessly to develop temporary systems that would allow them to restore rail connectivity and safely operate a limited number of freight and passenger trains.
"But this will be a long recovery process as we are essentially rebuilding some parts of the operating system from scratch," he said.
"We understand customers' concern and frustration, and we appreciate their patience while the repair work continues."
NSW TrainLink chief executive Pete Allaway said NSW TrainLink and freight services had been suspended between Mount Victoria and Lithgow since December 19 due to active fires and the subsequent damage.
"The first Bathurst Bullet, the Broken Hill XPLORER and most Dubbo XPT services will resume to a slightly altered timetable, with the remaining affected services to continue to be replaced by coaches and buses while repair work continues," Mr Allaway said.
Customers travelling along the affected lines can check the latest information and plan their journey through trip planning apps or online at http://transportnsw.info.
* Starts Tuesday, January 21
Monday to Friday the first Bathurst Bullet service will depart Bathurst at 5.46am and return from Sydney at 5.47pm.
On weekends, the first Bathurst Bullet service will depart Bathurst at 6.07am and return from Sydney at 5.51pm.
Monday through to Sunday the second Bathurst Bullet service will be replaced by coach between Bathurst and Mount Victoria.
Subscribing means more than just website access. Read the print paper online, enter giveaways and more for just $2 a week, cheaper than a coffee. What are you waiting for?