Lithgow taxi stolen at knifepoint involved in fatal Bilpin crash | Video

The scene of the incident at Bilpin overnight. Picture: TNV.
The scene of the incident at Bilpin overnight. Picture: TNV.

A Lithgow taxi driver was held at knifepoint on Tuesday night, August 7 and ordered out of the vehicle. Police believe the same vehicle was involved in a crash at Bilpin 20 minutes later, which killed the driver of the stolen taxi. 

At 9.30pm a 27-year-old Lithgow taxi driver picked up a man believed to be aged between 40 and 50 at the Main Street cab rink. He asked to be driven to Doonside in Sydney. 

Just 10 minutes into the journey, at the point at which Chifley Road becomes Bells Line of Road, the passenger allegedly pulled out a knife and put it against the taxi driver’s throat. The taxi driver was ordered out of the taxi. 

The taxi driver obeyed and flagged down a passing car for assistance. 

“The driver of the taxi who was the victim in this matter wasn’t injured – but was traumatised – but thankfully wasn’t physically injured,” Detective Inspector Luke Rankin said. 

The driver of the stolen taxi was seen heading towards Sydney. 

Shortly after 10pm police were called to Bells Line of Road, near the intersection with Bilpin School Road, after reports of a crash between a car and a Pantech truck.

“Early indications are that the taxi was at fault... and the driver of the Pantech took evasive action on several occasions to try and avoid a collision but was unable to. A head on collision resulted,” Detective Inspector Rankin said. 

Police believe the driver of the stolen taxi was the man killed in the crash. He has not been positively identified.  

“We have a suspicion of the male's identity but until we are able to definitively say who he is and of course speak to his next of kin and family and let them know he is deceased we won’t be releasing any information,” Detective Inspector Rankin said. 

Investigations are continuing and a report will be prepared for the coroner. 

Read more: