Lithgow man sentenced to jail for spitting blood on officer | Court

A Lithgow man has been sentenced to 12-months in prison after spitting blood on a police officer. 

Jesse Jacob Quinn, 25, was convicted of assaulting a police officer in the execution of his duty in Lithgow Local Court on June 7. 

The court heard police had responded to a call out for an ambulance after an assault in the car park of Lithgow KFC at about 3am on October 29. 

A friend of the assaulted man met police and told him that his friend, Quinn, was injured but had refused medical treatment. Instead, he had walked to another friend’s home. 

Police went to the friend’s home and found Quinn there, suffering from a range of injuries including a bloodied face. He denied being assaulted and told police to leave. When paramedics arrived to treat him, he became angry and spat in a police officer’s face. Due to his injuries, the fluid contained blood. 

Quinn was eventually treated for his injuries at Lithgow Hospital. The police officer also sought attention there. 

Quinn will be eligible for release on February 2, 2019. 

Spray deployed

A man who confronted a police officer with raised fists in Lithgow has been found guilty of assault. 

Joshua Tumlos, 29, of Pottery Estate was stopped with OC (capsicum) spray during the incident, which occurred in a Lithgow backyard in the early hours of the morning on April 22. Police had been called to the address in relation to multiple complaints about a fight under way.  

Tumlos pleaded guilty to the charge and was fined $700 as well as being placed on an 18-month good behaviour bond. 

Drugs in jail grounds

A North Nowra woman was fined $500 for carrying the drug ice into Lithgow Correctional Centre’s grounds in her car. 

Tiana Joy Curtis, 33, travelled from Nowra to visit a friend at the jail on April 29. She was stopped by NSW Correction Services staff and her vehicle was searched. 

A small plastic resealable bag containing 0.2 grams of the drug ice was found behind the driver’s seat. 

According to a police statement, Curtis told officers she had meant to leave the bag at home. 

Good behaviour bond for domestic attack

A Lithgow woman has been ordered to be of good behaviour after an attack on her mother and sister. 

The 20-year-old was found guilty of domestic violence related common assault and intentionally destroying property when she faced Lithgow Local Court on Thursday, June 7.

The court heard an argument began between the woman and her mother on March 25 when the older woman, who has custody of her grandchild, refused to allow her to take her out of town for the night. 

The argument escalated until, fearing for her safety, the woman’s mother left the property by car. Her daughter threw the house phone at the car as it left, breaking it on the ground. 

She tried to return to the house but her sister, who was in the home with her four small children, locked the door. As her sister stood behind the glass in the front bedroom calling police, the woman shattered the window and then threw a shard of glass at her sister. Her sister locked herself in the bathroom with her children until the woman left. She was arrested and charged in Bathurst on March 26. 

Destroyed his cell

Lithgow Correctional Centre inmate Mohamed Wisal Khan has been sentenced to stay in jail until January 6, 2019, after trashing his cell. 

Lithgow Local Court heard the 29-year-old broke the toilet, basin, shower screen and rail in his room after being told he would be placed in segregation within the jail due to an infraction of prison rules.

He was sentenced to 10 months in prison on June 7, with a minimum non-parole period of seven months. He was also ordered to pay $1745 in compensation. 

Fine for failing to pay for taxi

A South Bowenfels man was fined $250 for failing to pay for a taxi fare. 

Timothy Stieger, 29, agreed to pay $70 to be taken to the Halfway Hotel at Hampton by taxi. 

On arrival, he told the driver he could not find his wallet and said he would have to go back into Lithgow in order to get the funds to pay. The driver agreed to take him back into Lithgow for another fee but told police he did not return to the vehicle after he was dropped off. He did leave behind a bag containing a mobile phone, a key and documentation with his name on it. 

Drive with illicit drug in blood

A Portland man was ordered to pay a $500 fine after pleading guilty to driving with an illicit drug in his bloodstream. 

Steven Michael Straney, 34, was also disqualfied from driving for six months in Lithgow Local Court on June 7. 

He was detected driving with methylamphetamine and tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) when he was pulled over for a random breath test on December 10, 2017. 

Back in the bar

Laith Victor Joseph Walsh, 24, of South Bowenfels was issued a $1000 fine for re-entering a licenced premises after being barred by police for 24 hours. 

Police stopped Walsh as he was trying to enter a Lithgow pub due to intoxication and then was seen back on the premises later the same night.