Carly McBride murder: Lithgow inmate to be arrested | Photos, Video

An inmate of Lithgow Correctional Centre will be arrested this week for the alleged murder of Lake Macquarie mother Carly McBride.

He will be the second man arrested in relation to her death. McBride’s former boyfriend, Sayle Kenneth Newson, was arrested on Monday, June 19 – a breakthrough in the two-and-a-half-year investigation.

Police will allege the pair were parties to a joint criminal enterprise to murder Ms McBride.

In a press conference on Monday afternoon, police revealed they had arrested a 39-year-old Buff Point man who had been in a short relationship with Ms McBride in the lead-up to her disappearance on September 30, 2014.

“That man will be charged with the murder of Carly McBride,” Hunter Valley Superintendent Steve Clarke told reporters at Wyong police station.

“Further to that, there will be another arrest later this week, where investigators will go to the Lithgow area, where a man will be charged with her murder.”

Police revealed that a post-mortem had concluded that Ms McBride died of a blunt force trauma.

The former boyfriend of Carly McBride did not apply for bail in a brief appearance in court on Monday afternoon.

Appearing sullen and unshaven, Mr Newson stared at his family and hung his head. Magistrate Peter Feather adjourned the matter to Newcastle Local Court on August 9. 

As he was being lead out of the court by corrective services, Mr Newson said to his family: "Love ya ma. Love you babe. "Love you. "Stay strong mum". 

Ms McBride’s remains were found in August last year in roadside scrub at Owens Gap on the outskirts of Scone – about 50km from where she was last seen in Muswellbrook.

The Belmont woman had been visiting one of her children at the Calgaroo Avenue house of ex-partner Andrew Easton.

She was reported missing soon after by Newson.

On Monday morning, detectives arrested Newson at San Remo on the Central Coast in connection with the murder.

Police investigations continue.